Vkmagzine
Online
Welcome to Vk Magzine.

How to Asking for and giving directions in English

Asking for and giving directions in English language

Sometimes you may asked from someone for directions.

Giving and asking directions English lesson

This lesson you will be learning how to give directions to another person when they ask you for directions on how to go somewhere.  and also give examples of how to ask for directions as well. 

Important verbs and prepositions when giving directions

Asking somebody for directions

Questions you can ask about directions

Can you please tell me how I can get to New Street?

Where is the nearest supermarket?

How can I get to the  local market?

I'm trying to get to Downing Street.

How do I get to the office?

What's the best way to get to your house next ?

Where is Mc Donalds can you tell me please?

How do I get to the police station?

What's the best way to get to the supermarket?

Where is the church?

Could you tell me wherethe shoe store is?

Do you know where the post office is?

Where can I find the nearest bakery?

Is there a shop around here?

You can also ask for directions without making a question,
a phrase commonly used is:

I am looking for the supermarket.
I am looking for the pharmacy.

How to give directions to somebody else 

You can also use some of these phrases when giving directions in English.

The easiest way is to…
The quickest way is to…
The best way is to…

Go straight on till you see the hospital then turn left.

Turn back, you have gone past the turning.

Turn left when you see a roundabout.

Turn right at the end of the road and my house is number 67.

Cross the junction and keep going for about 1 mile.

Take the third road on the right and you will see the office on the right

Take the third road on the right and you will see the shop on the left

Take the second road on the left and you will see the house on the left

Take the second road on the left and you will see the hospital straight ahead

The hospital is opposite the railway station.

The shop is near the water tank.

The house is next to the local cricket ground.

The shop is in between the chemist and KFC.

At the end of the road you will see a roundabout.

At the corner of the road you will see red building.

Just around the corner is my house you will need to stop quickly or you will miss it.

Go straight on at the traffic lights.

turn right at the crossroads.

Follow the signposts for Manchester.

These are some examples of sentences used when giving directions in English

The bank is on the main street.

The hospital is around the corner.

Go North for two blocks.

The Supermarket is on the main avenue.

Walk straight for two miles.

Drive for three kilometresThe school is between the park and the bank

Cross the street

Get to the supermarket

The hotel is in front of the school

The best way is to turn right on Main Street.

These are some phrases to indicate that you are not from here

I'm sorry, I'm not from here.

I'm afraid I can't help you.

Sorry, I don't know my way around here.

Examples of Giving Directions in English

These are examples of giving directions in English, these sentences are a bit longer than the previous one.

A. Go straight on. Then take the first left onto Green Street. Walk past the library and it's the building next to the library on the left. 

B. Go straight on. Go past the traffic lights. You will see a shop on the right. Go past that and it's on the right next to the shop.  

C. Go straight on. Go past the traffic lights and go straight on until you get to the roundabout. At the roundabout turn left. Go past the theatre. It's the building next to the theatre, opposite the hospital.  

How to Give and Ask Directions Inside Buildings

Asking for Directions Inside Buildings

These are some ways to ask for directions inside buildings

Where is the computer room?

Where is the public telephone?

Excuse me, where arethe restrooms?

Can you tell me where the public telephone is?

How do you get to theATM?

Do you know where theEnglish class is?

Please give me the directions to the elevator.
What are the directions to the Administration Office?

What is the way to thegym?

I'm looking for the library

How do I get to theCafeteria?

How can I get to theclothing store?

These are some example of responses when asked about directions inside a hotel

The restaurant is at the end of the hallway to the right.

The elevators are straight ahead on the left

The stairway is around the corner over there.

-Go along the corridor/hall.

Turn right at the end of the hall.

Take the stairs down to the basementGo through the door.

-It's just through / past / after the door.

Take the elevator up to the top floor.

Go up to the fifth floor.

Go straight ahead.

Dialogue: Give Locations Inside a Hotel 

This is an example of a dialogue that takes place inside a hotel.

Receptionist: Good Morning, How can I help you?

Guest: Can you tell me where the bar is?

Receptionist: It is near the dance room

Guest: Could you tell me how to get to the bar?

Receptionist: The bar is on the second floor. Please go straight along the hallway. Take the escalator up one floor. The bar is on your left.

Guest: Thanks a lot

Receptionist:  You are welcome

source: web and https://englishpost.org

also see some other sites

https://english-at-home.com/phrases-for-giving-directions/

कोई टिप्पणी नहीं:

एक टिप्पणी भेजें

Type here