Notes for English speaking
My English notebook
"I went to the park right after waking up early this morning to have some fun, and while I was there, I grabbed a hot cup of milk coffee."
Explaination - Why This Works Better
"After waking up" instead of "after wake up": When you use "after" as a connector here, the verb changes to the "-ing" form to keep the action flowing smoothly.
"To have some fun" instead of "for having fun": In English, when we explain the purpose of an action, we usually use "to + verb" (e.g., to have fun, to buy coffee, to relax).
"While I was there": This is a great connector phrase. It bridges your time at the park with the action of getting your coffee.
"Although I like watching movies, I actually prefer playing simple computer games while listening to music. If it happens to be rainy outside, that becomes one of my absolute favorite ways to spend my free time."
1. "Although" & "I actually prefer"
The fix: Instead of "also more like," using "prefer" is the natural way to say you like one thing more than another. Adding "Although..." at the start sets up a nice contrast between movies and games.
2. "While listening to music"
The fix: When doing two activities at the same time, connect them with "while" + the "-ing" verb (e.g., playing games while listening to music, cooking while listening to podcasts). Also, remember that listen almost always needs "to" after it!
3. "My absolute favorite ways"
The fix: In English, when you use the phrase "one of my...", the word that follows is usually plural (e.g., one of my favorite days or one of my favorite ways).
Tags